MIGUEL BERUETE DIAZ
- INGENIERÍA ELÉCTRICA, ELECTRÓNICA Y DE COMUNICACIÓN
- Teoría de la Señal y Comunicaciones
EDIFICIO LOS TEJOS - DESPACHO 1025 - P.PRIMERA
Phone number: [+34] 948 16 9727
Miguel Beruete received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in telecommunication engineering from the Public University of Navarre (UPNA), Pamplona, in 2002 and 2006, respectively. From 2002 to 2007, he was a Pre-Doctoral Researcher, under the FPI Fellowship, with the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department, UPNA. In 2005, he joined the University of Seville, Seville, Spain, as a Visiting Researcher, as a part of his Ph.D. research.
From 2007 to 2009, he was with the Electronics Department, Technological Center CEMITEC, Noáin, Spain, where he was involved in the development of high-frequency commu- nication devices.
In 2009, he joined TERALAB, UPNA, as a Post-Doctoral Researcher of the Consolider EMET Engineering Metamaterials Project. From 2012 to 2016, he was a Ramon y Cajal Fellow Researcher with UPNA, where he became an UPNA Distinguished Researcher. Since 2017, he has been an Associate Professor with the Antennas Group-TERALAB, UPNA, where he supervises several Ph.D. and M.Sc. theses and leads the TERALAB Laboratory. He has authored more than 130 indexed articles, 5 book chapters, and more than 300 conference communications (several invited). He holds three patents. His current research interests include terahertz sensing and communication technology, including metamaterials, plasmonics, extraordinary transmission structures, leaky-wave antennas, nanoantennas, and, in general, quasi-optical devices.
Currently his h index is h = 31, with over 3500 citations to his works, which places him as one of the most relevant researchers at the state level in the field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
In addition, he has been distinguished with several awards throughout his career:
- UPNA Research Award of the Exact, Biological, Medical and Technological Sciences Areas, for the best scientific contribution made during the years 2017 and 2018 for the article: B. Orazbayev, N. Mohammadi Estakhri, A. Alù, and M. Beruete , "Experimental Demonstration of Metasurface-Based Ultrathin Carpet Cloaks for Millimeter Waves," Adv. Opt. Mater., Vol. 5, no. 1 p. 1600606, Jan. 2017.
- “CST University Publication Award 2016” from the company CST GmbH for the best scientific article using CST Microwave Studio: B. Orazbayev, V. Pacheco-Peña, M. Beruete, and M. Navarro-Cía, “Exploiting the dispersion of the double-negative - index fishnet metamaterial to create a broadband low-profile metallic lens, ”Opt. Express, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 8555–8564, 2015.
- Co-author of the work “Transformation electromagnetics for nanoantennas and localized emitters” awarded with the URSI Young Scientists Award 2016 won by the doctoral student Víctor Pacheco Peña.
- 2nd prize MMS2014 Yarman-Carlin Best Student Paper Contest for the work "Tunability and sign- switching of deflection angle in diffraction inspired unidirectional devices"
- “Disruptive Concept Award” from the RADAR 2014 Conference, for the work “Blind Spot Mitigation in Phased Array Antenna using Metamaterials”
- Extraordinary Doctorate Award from the Public University of Navarra (2006/07 academic year)
- “CST University Publication Award 2012” from CST GmbH company for best scientific article using CST Microwave Studio, http://www.cst.com/Content/Company/UniAward2012.aspx
- Talgo Award 2012 with the proposal "Implementation of an Environment of Environmental Intelligence for the Railway Ecosystem" of the research team formed by Prof. Francisco Falcone Lanas, Prof. Antonio López Martín, Prof. Jesús Villadangos Alonso, Prof. Mario Sorolla Ayza, Dr . Miguel Beruete Díaz, Dr. José Javier Astrain Escolá, http://www.talgo.com/index.php/es/premio.php
- “CST University Publication Award 2005” from CST GmbH for best scientific article using CST Microwave Studio, www.cst.com/Content/Company/UniAward2005.aspx
- Article selected by Advanced Optical Materials to be included in the "Metasurfaces" virtual issue to highlight recent groundbreaking research in this area. B. Orazbayev, N. Mohammadi Estakhri, A. Alù, and M. Beruete, "Experimental Demonstration of Metasurface-Based Ultrathin Carpet Cloaks for Millimeter Waves," Adv. Opt. Mater. 5, 1600606 (2017).
- Article selected by Optics & Photonics News as one of the most outstanding investigations in the field of optics in 2015. V. Pacheco-Peña, V. Torres, B. Orazbayev, M. Beruete, M. Navarro-Cía, and N. Engheta, "Advances in ε -Near-Zero Metamaterial Devices," Opt. Photonics News 26, 35 (2015).
- Article selected as the cover of the special issue “Special issue on mid-infrared and THz photonics”. V. Pacheco-Peña, V. Torres, M. Beruete, M. Navarro-Cía, and N. Engheta, "ε-near-zero (ENZ) graded index quasi-optical devices: steering and splitting millimeter waves," J. Opt. 16, 094009 (2014).
- Article selected for the edition of "Highlights 2014". V. Pacheco-Peña, V. Torres, M. Beruete, M. Navarro-Cía, and N. Engheta, "ε-near-zero (ENZ) graded index quasi-optical devices: steering and splitting millimeter waves," J. Opt. 16, 094009 (2014).
Reviewer work acknowledgment
- Winner of the "Publons Peer Review Awards 2019": Top Reviewer in Physics
- Winner of the "Publons Peer Review Awards 2018" in 2 different categories: Physics, Multidisciplinary
- Winner of the "Publons Peer Review Awards 2017" in 3 different categories: Physics and Astronomy, Materials Science, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- OSA Distinguished Reviewer "For your dedication to quality scientific peer-review and for completing 5 or more scientific paper reviews during the 2016-2017 publishing season"
- OSA Distinguished Reviewer "For your dedication to quality scientific peer-review and for completing 5 or more scientific paper reviews during the 2015-2016 publishing season"