|Course code: 176404||Subject title: FINANCIAL MARKETS AND INSTRUMENTS|
|Credits: 6||Type of subject: Mandatory||Year: 2||Period: 2º S|
|Department: Gestión de Empresas|
|MUGA CAPEROS, LUIS FERNANDO (Resp) [Mentoring ]||MANSILLA FERNANDEZ, JOSE MANUEL [Mentoring ]|
GP03 Oral and written communication
GP05 Developing software knowledge applied to the corresponding subject
GP06 Ability to analyze and seek information from various sources
GP07 Solving problems skills
GP08 Decision making skills
GP09 Capacity for teamwork
GP15 Ethic behavior in the job
GP17 Autonomous learning skills
SP01 Entender economic institutions and implementing resulting theoretical or formal representations of how the economy works
SP02 Identify relevant economic information and its content
SP03 Recognize information from data in a professional way
SP03 Derive data unrecognizable relevant information by non-professionals
SP04 Applying professional criteria based on the management of technical tools to the analysis of business problems
SP05 Ability to create reports about companies and markets
SP12 Plan, organize and control projects in the various functional areas of the company
SP15To understand the financial markets, their structure, key players and products
R_FB_07. To understand the national and international economic reality, productive sectors, public sector, economic institutions and their evolution.
R_FB_08. Understand the concept of financial assets and their main characteristics (profitability, risk and liquidity)
R_FB_09. To know the basic functioning of the main financial markets, with special emphasis on domestic markets.
R_FB_10. Develop basic hedging and speculation operations
|Methodology - Activity||In-Class Hours||Out-of-Class Hours|
|A-1 Project-Based Learning (PBL).||28||42|
|A-2 Expositive/Participative Lectures.||20|
|A-3 Solving exercises and problems.||08||12|
|A-4 Student's autonomous study and work.||34|
|A-5 Receiving hours.||02|
|A-1 Project-Based Learning (PBL).||CG3; CG5; CG6; CG7; CG9; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE5; CE12; CE15;|
|A-2 Expositive/Participative Lectures.||CG3; CG6; CG7; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE5; CE12; CE15|
|A-3 Solving exercises and problems.||CG3; CG5; CG6; CG7; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE5; CE12; CE1|
|A-4 Student¿ s autonomous study and work.||CG3; CG5; CG6; CG7; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE5; CE12; CE15;|
|A-5 Receiving hours.||CG3; CG5; CG6; CG7; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE5; CE12; CE15;|
|A-6 Examens.||CG3; CG6; CG7; CG8; CG15; CG17; CE1; CE2; CE3; CE4; CE12; CE15;|
This course is taught in English.
|Learning outcomes||Assessment system||Weight (%)||Recoverable character||Minimum mark required|
|R_FB_07, R_FB_08, R_FB_09||PBL (Submitting exercises and tasks, self-evaluation among the members of the team, mid-term and final reports)||40%||NO||NO|
|PBL (Basic knowledge exam)||10%||YES, in the retake exam||NO|
|R_FB_07, R_FB_08, R_FB_09 y R_FB_10||Final Exam||50%||YES, in the retake exam||5 out of 10|
In case of obtaining a grade lower than 5 out of 10 points in the final exam, the mark of the continuous assessment will be considered, without the final grade of the subject, adding the continuous mark and the grade of the final exam, could exceed 4.9 out of 10 (Fail).
To pass the course, a mark equal to or higher than 5 out of 10 points in the final exam is required. In the event of obtaining a grade lower than 5 out of 10 in the final exam, the mark of the continuous assessment will be considered. In this case, the final grade of the course, adding the continuous assessment mark and the final exam grade, cannot exceed 4.9 out of 10 (Fail).
Students will be considered to have sat for the evaluation if they sit for either the PBL or the Final Exam.
Financial Markets and Instruments: The Financial System. The Financial markets: Corporate and public bond markets, stock markets, derivative markets, and international markets. The Financial Instruments: main bond and equity products. Economic-Financial information about the main domestic and international financial markets.
UNIT 1: INTRODUCTION TO THE FINANCIAL SYSTEM.
1.1 The Financial System.
1.2 Financial Assets and Their Characteristics.
1.3 Financial intermediaries: Brokers and Dealers.
1.4 Financial Markets: Definition and Typology.
UNIT 2: THE INTERBANK MARKETS.
2.1 Transactions between the ECB and Financial Institutions.
2.2 Transactions among financial institutions.
UNIT 3: THE BOND MARKET.
3.1 Corporate Bond Markets.
3.2 Treasury Bond markets.
3.3 Term Structure of Interest Rates.
UNIT 4: THE EQUITY MARKET
4.1 The Equity Market in Spain: The ¿Stock Market¿.
4.2 Equity Issuance and Public Offerings.
4.3 Stock Market Indexes.
4.4 Other Securities Traded in Stock Markets.
UNIT 5: THE FOREIGN EXCHANGE MARKET.
5.1 Foreign Currency: Definition and negotiation.
5.2 The Spot and the Forward Markets.
UNIT 6: THE DERIVATIVE MARKETS.
6.1 Forwards and Future Markets.
Basic bibliography in English:
- Bodie, Z., Kane, A, and Marcus, A. Essentials of Investment, McGraw Hill, 11th Edition. 2019.
- Moffet, M., Stonehill, A., and Eiteman, D. Fundamentals of Multinational Finance Global Edition, Pearson, 5th Edition. 2016.
Complementary bibliography in English:
- Mishkin, F.S. The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets. Pearson. 2016.
Basic bibliography in Spanish:
- García-Olalla, M. and Martínez-García J. (Dir.) Fernández-González, Esteban (Coordinador) "Manual del asesor financiero", Editorial Paraninfo. 2018.
- Manzano, D. and Valero, F.J. (Dir.) "Guía del Sistema Financiero Español" Editorial AFI (Analistas Financieros Internacionales), 2019.
- Martín-Marín, J.L., and Trujillo-Ponce, A. "Mercados de Activos Financieros", Editorial Delta. 2011.
Complementary bibliography in Spanish:
- Borrego A. and García P. "Productos Financieros: Sus mercados, valoración y estrategias de inversión" Editorial Financial Times- Prentice Hall. 2001.
- Cuervo, A. et al. "Manual del Sistema Financiero Español" Editorial Ariel, 2014.
- De Pablo López, A. "Valoración Financiera" Editorial Centro de Estudios Ramón Areces, 2002.
- Martín-Marín, J.L., Trujillo-Ponce, A. "Manual de Mercados Financieros", International Thomson Editores, 2015.
- Remírez J.A. "Cómo entender los datos de la prensa financiera" Editorial ESIC, 2010.
- Sánchez Fernández de Valderrama, J.L. "Curso de Bolsa y mercados financieros". Editorial Ariel 2007.